Before Joining - On mobile devices, there are some options that need to be set before you join the meeting. Click on the Settings icon at the bottom of the screen. Then click on the Meetings option to access the meeting settings. Be sure to turn on the "Use Original Sound" option. This does NOT turn it on, but makes the control accessible during the meeting. You may also want to turn on the "Always Show Meeting Controls" option so you don't have to keep tapping the meeting screen for the controls to show up.
- The easiest way to join a meeting is to click on the URL link provided for the meeting. Another way is to launch the zoom app, click on the big, blue Join
button and then type in the provided Meeting ID
number. When the app connects to the meeting, select Call using Internet Audio
so your device's microphone will be in use.
- (Not available on some devices) There's a control in the upper left for switching between Gallery
view. With an Android device, the control looks like several dots, side by side, at the bottom center of your screen. Click on each dot to see the various view options.
- in this view, all participants are shown the same size in a grid of rectangles. If there are more people than can be seen in one screen, zoom puts an arrow on the right side that lets you see a second grid with additional people in it. In Gallery View
, zoom puts a green outline around the person it detects as the speaker. Gallery View
is a good choice if there are a lot of people talking back and forth and the speaker is changing frequently.
Audio and Video Control
- in this view, the speaker is in one large box, with a number of small boxes in a row above or below it showing other participants. You can scroll left or right to see more participants. This is a good choice when there is one person speaking, or in our case, singing. You get a much better view of the person you want to focus on. But if there are many people trying to speak at the same time, this view can be annoying because the large box is continually changing between speakers.
- In the upper right of your screen (lower left on Android and iPhone), you'll see icons for audio and video. Click on the Microphone icon
to Mute or Unmute yourself. Click on the Video Camera icon
to stop or start your video. For our sing-arounds, you should normally leave your video on unless you need to do something private. Audio should normally be muted unless you need to say something or want to have your clapping heard.